|Sources (hover for more info)|
|Poor Law Records|
- Aside from the few exceptions listed below, almost all of the parishes in this county came under (A) the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon.
- The exceptions were four small peculiar jurisdictions that belonged to (B) prebends of Lincoln Cathedral.
|Barham||Prebendal of Stow Longa (B)|
|Brampton||Prebendal of Brampton (B)|
|Buckden||Prebendal of Buckden (B)|
|Easton||Prebendal of Stow Longa (B)|
|Leighton Bromswold||Prebendal of Leighton Bromswold (B)|
|Little Catworth||Prebendal of Stow Longa (B)|
|Long Stow||Prebendal of Stow Longa (B)|
|Spaldwick||Prebendal of Stow Longa (B)|
|Thurning||Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (A)|
|Washingley||see Lutton in Northampton|
For those who lived in (A) the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon, search:
- Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Pre-1837, Consistory of Lincoln (Lincoln) and post-1837, Consistory of Ely (Cambridge)
- Prerogative Court of Canterbury (London: PCC)
- Court of Arches, 1660- (London: Arches)
- Court of Delegates, 1636- (London: Delegates)
For those who lived in (B) the four prebendal courts, search:
- The respective prebendal court
- Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Dean and Chapter of Lincoln (Lincoln)
- Do the rest of the steps under (A) above
For those who lived anywhere in the county between 1653-1660, search:
- Prerogative Court of Canterbury (see London: PCC)
For those who lived anywhere in the county between 1812-1857, regardless of what is found in the probate records of any of the above courts, consider searching also the estate duty registers (see London: Estate Duty)
Printed Index/Microfilmed Calendars for the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- 1479-1652, (FHL 942 B4b) and (BYU CS 434 .B7) volume 42
This is volume 42 of the Index Library series (BRS). Pages 1-125 provide an index to the registered copy wills, 1479-1614, in volumes 1-19; pages 126-152 are an index to volume 1 of the Administration Act Books for 1559-1614; and pages 153-203 index the original wills from their beginning in 1615-1652. Other shorter indexes are included. NOTE: wills for Huntingdon also appear in the old volumes I-III of the registered copy wills of the Hitchin Division on FHL and BYU films 91771-91772 that are not included in this printed index. See the Miscellaneous Section for details. Volume 42 has been scanned into the Ancestry.com system. This is a subscription site but you have free access to it when searching at the FHL or using the computers in the family history section of the BYU library.
- 1615-1739, Wills (FHL & BYU 187854) volume 1
This film actually covers 3 volumes of a manuscript calendar, 1615-1858. Volume 3 does start with some useful information about probate records from peculiar courts in several counties that were filed with the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon. However in the average search, it is suggested that the researcher use just that portion of volume 1 for original wills, 1653-1663, and then go to the filmed index listed under number 3 below. NOTE: the registered copy wills for volumes 20-43 are separately indexed in each volume.
- 1664-1858, Wills (FHL 2197598, items 1-3)
This is a modern draft index that is easier to read than the one described on the previous film, plus it provides the document numbers for each will.
- 1662-1688, Administrations (FHL & BYU 187904)
The first item is an index to the bonds that start in items 2-4 of this film and continue on films 187905-187906.
- 1607-1857, Inventories (FHL & BYU 187855)
This index was filmed twice. The actual documents are on film. For details type 2300680 into the Film/Fiche Search Box of the main menu of the online FHL catalog.
Microfilmed Records for the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
All of the probate records for this court have been microfilmed, except for the administration bonds from 1689-1857. Fortunately, there are 5 volumes of Administration Act Books to make up the difference on FHL films 187900-187903. However, they seem to lack the years from 1615-1690. Some of the records were filmed or cataloged twice. Use the series that begins with the initial film 91771. A separate collection of inventories, 1607-1857, starts with film 2300680. NOTE: FHL films 91770 and 91773-91786 pertain only to the registered copy wills of the Hitchin Division and should have no value for research in Huntingdon.
NOTE: Where an initial film number is given, use either version of the FHL catalog to see all of the films in that collection. The previous version at FamilySearch may be a little easier to use for that purpose.
Printed Index for the Peculiar Courts in Huntingdon
1549-1858, Transactions of the Cambs. & Hunts. Archaeologcial Society, volume 6, part 3, pages 79-96 (FHL 942.5 C4ch)
Microfilmed Records for the Peculiar Courts in Huntingdon
All of the original wills and administrations for the four prebendal courts of Brampton, Buckden, Leighton Bromswold, and Stow Longa have been microfilmed. These records are on FHL films 187891-187899.
- The old volumes I-III of the registered copy wills for the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division) for 1566-1569, 1574-1598 and 1609 are not indexed in BRS 42, but they are separately indexed and appear on FHL & BYU films 91771-91772. These volumes include a mix of wills for both the counties of Hertford and Huntingdon. Ten of the wills for persons from Huntingdon were abstracted as is shown in the next item.
- 1609, Abstracts of Registered Copy Wills (FHL 942.58 D2ga) volumes 2-3 This is The Herts Genealogist and Antiquary edited by William Briggs. Each volume contains an every name index. Wills were abstracted from volume III of the registered copy wills described in item 1 above for the following persons from Huntingdon:
- Alpresse, Robert of Fenny Stanton
- Ellkins, Richard of Kimbolton
- Freeman, William of Great Stewkely
- Rawlin, Thomas of Catworth Magna
- Sillvester, John of Huntingdon
- Tylley, William of Awconbury
- Hills, Edward of Great Stoughton
- Atkinson, Thomas of Godmanchester
- Chaundler, Edward of Steeple Giddinge
- Harrice, Margaret of Haddon
Paul Alexander copied 54 wills from folios 1-68 of volume 4 of the Registered Copy Wills from the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon.
This volume is part of the series for the Hitchin Division, but originally it was entitled “Testamentary Acta County of Huntingdon,” and is referred to in the index on FHL film 91786 as “Bk. of Precedents made in 1682.” The entries are mainly for 1671-1679 with a few for 1638-1641 and may contain some entries for the county of Huntingdon.
These typed abstracts are for wills of persons from Huntingdon proven in the Consistory Court of Lincoln. They were edited by S. Allyn Peck. The wills are separately indexed as well in BRS 41 of the Index Library for Lincoln.